So the tourists are gone, direct flights stop coming in and out of the ‘Boat like tomorrow, and the SNOW IS DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

WOW! What a time to be a local! After a kind blessing of white stuff last week I kind of figured we were all through. And then it started dumping on Sunday and it hasn’t stopped since. Yesterday was one of those days where you firmly realize WHY you live in Steamboat. An epic day by all accounts. First tracks on Three O’Clock, a couple or rare Pony Express runs, and my yearly pilgrimage to ski Vertigo, the trail that took my ski legs and replaced them with a sit ski, on the anniversary of my accident (I missed by two days but I was close) were all on the agenda yesterday and I’d say we got a lot done!

And then we get to today, March 31st, 2009. That’s right folks, it’s the last day of March and the mountain is in mid January form. Today started out a little later than normal as I boarded Christie Express around 9am. Not thinking there would be much new snow, I lolly gagged my way over to Thunderhead via the lower lift line (I SWEAR I didn’t duck a rope J). By the time I reached the top, I realized just how wrong I was. Another foot of fresh was waiting for me on Rudy’s and I chomped up as many face shots as I could on my way to Storm Peak. After my usual warm up (Side Burn to Sunset to Moonlight Trees) I visited all the favorites that I missed on Monday (including both 12:30 and 1:30 trees. Then I met my BBF Keith for a personal Steamboat Ambassador tour (mango jacket and all) of the mountain. By the time we got through with Flying Z, Vertigo, Cyclone, Storm Peak Meadow, Hurricane, West Side, and Keith’s ridge, it was already Noon, so I tipped my Ambassador BIG and bombed my usual top to bottom route of Storm Peak meadow to Hurricane Meadow to Rainbow to Vagabond to Lower Concentration to Rough Rider to Beeline and home.

Hopefully I saved enough appetite for tomorrow’s wintery mountain menu as it looks like mother nature will be serving up the same All You Can Eat Buffet that she did the last two days.

See you Tomorrow, In The Deep…..

Posted by Powder Hound Tuesday, March 31, 2009

0 comments

Post a Comment

Subscribe here

Our Weather